These creamy oats are the perfect way to wake up warm on those cooler mornings. Made within 2 minutes, there is always time to enjoy a bowl before heading off to work or getting the kids ready for school. Plus, the benefits of oats providing a “blank canvas” means that you can add all the healthy toppings you enjoy (and leave out those that you don’t! – not everyone is the same).
Oats have proven time and time again to be the perfect bowl of nourishment first thing in the morning. Being a good source of both protein, fibre and low GI, you can count on this wholesome bowl to get you through to your next meal without the hunger pangs. Oats also contain a type of fibre known as beta glucan, which research has shown to aid in blood cholesterol management (so those of us with a slightly higher cholesterol – we are onto a winner here!).
- 1/4 cup Oat Bran
- 1/4 cup Quick Oats
- 1/4 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Milk (Reduced fat ideally!)
- Toppings of your choice (Yoghurt, Berries (can be frozen), Banana, a teaspoon of honey, Chopped Nuts, Pepitas, Dried Fruit – the options are endless) Note: Try to limit the added sugar (brown sugar, honey).
- Mix all of the oats in one bowl. Add milk and stir.
- Microwave for 1 minute, stir, and a further 30-45 seconds or until well cooked.
- Top with your favourite toppings such as dollop of yoghurt and fresh berries.
Pictured: A dollop of natural greek yoghurt, fresh raspberries topped with a sweet macadamia dukkah.